Someone showed me a website with this recipe which, I decided to try. However, I didn’t have a lot of the ingredients, so I just kinda made do. It’s way better than I would’ve ever expected. It’s super easy, you only dirty a few pans and it keeps all week.
1 pound ground meat (beef, turkey, pork, chorizo sausage, your choice.)
1 sixteen oz can of black beans
1 sixteen oz can of tomatoes
1 eight oz can of corn
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 red, orange, yellow, or green bell pepper
1 cup Spanish or white rice
A pinch or two of cumin, chili powder, and oregano
Salt and pepper
A casserole dish, a large frying pan, and a small sauce pot.
3 out of 10 spatulas
1) On medium heat, brown the meat until mostly cooked through.
2) In a small pot, bring the rice to a boil along with 2 cups of water and put a lid on it.
3) Add the vegetables (and fruit, whatever, we get it peppers and tomatoes are fruit) and seasonings, and stir. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
4) When all the water has boiled out of the pot/into the rice, take it off the heat but keep the lid on.
5) Preheat the oven to 350.
6) Take out a casserole pan, and pour all of the meat, veggies, and rice into it.
7) Bake for 20 minutes.
8) Remove from the oven, stir your casserole, and top with cheddar cheese. Bake for 10 more minutes.
9) Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
This stuff is really good with some salsa and some sour cream. It’s also great with guacamole. Do you know how to make that? It’s pretty crucial for this dish actually. Here, let’s make that real quick.
1 half of a small tomato, diced
1 half of a small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1) Scoop the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork.
2) Add the tomato, onion, and garlic. Stir.
3) Squeeze some lime juice, and add the salt and pepper. Stir.
Scoop out a big spoonful of the enchilada stuff onto a plate, top it with some guacamole and some salsa, stir it up and eat it. It’s also good to dip some corn chips into this mix. Happy Spring Break.